The air in your home can have a big impact on your productivity. Air purifiers, by removing particles as small as those in everyday dust and fake tanning lotion, can help people who suffer from allergies, asthma, or just looking for a cleaner home environment.
But there are also some disadvantages to consider before investing in an air purifier for the first time.
In this blog article we'll talk about what the disadvantages of air purifiers are so you know exactly what types of effects they could have on people with certain health conditions when making a purchase decision.
There are a lot of air purifiers on the market, and chances are you'll be able to find one that fits your needs. Here are some things to consider when looking at the pros and cons.
GreatHouseWork is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.
How Air Purifiers Work
Air purifiers use filtration systems to remove particles from the air you need to breathe. They can range in size from small, portable models you can take with you on trips (like those from Ozeri or Panasonic) to massive air purifiers that can cover an entire house (like those from Honeywell).
Filters can be made from many different materials and of varying quality. Some filters are designed to remove particles from the air using electrostatic charges , while others use a handful of methods to capture particles.
Disadvantages Of Air Purifiers
There are several disadvantages to Air Purifiers, and these are:
1. They can be expensive
The biggest disadvantage of air purifiers is that they are generally very expensive. Unless you're getting a used or refurbished model, most air purifiers that are worth your time will cost several hundred dollars at the minimum. Even when you buy a high-quality filter you'll have to spend some money to keep it maintained. You'll also have to replace it from time to time, which can cause further expenses.
Some air purifiers will even put quite a strain on your wallet in other ways. On average, an air purifier needs to run for an hour per day in order for it to be effective.
2. Air purifiers can have bad effects on your health
One advantage of using an air purifier, aside from cleaning the air, is that some of the particles it removes can be healthy. Cooking fumes, for example, are released during the cooking process and can be poisonous if inhaled.
Air purifiers typically clean the air by sweeping tiny particles into a filter where they are collected and deposited into your trash . But some people are sensitive to these types of particles and can really harm their health. In some cases this could even lead to death. There have been several reported cases in which people who use air purifiers have died or suffered severe health issues as a result of breathing in certain types of particles.
3. They are pretty noisy
Some air purifiers are relatively quiet, but others make a lot of noise. And if they aren't quiet, they can be a nuisance. This can be particularly troublesome if you need to use the air purifier on a regular basis and would rather not listen to the loud hum all night.
4. They don't do much for low-quality air
Air purifiers remove only certain types of particles from the air and only to certain degrees. For example, an air purifier that's effective at removing small particles from the air will leave behind gases that can cause health problems.
And if you have low-quality air to begin with, an air purifier won't do much to help as it will only remove some of the particles and won't really have much of an effect on the overall quality of the air in your home.
5. They can sometimes increase dust levels
When removing particles from the air, there is a risk that they will be swept up and deposited onto other surfaces . If you don't use a high-quality filter, this can actually cause an increase in dust on certain surfaces. This happens because as you sweep up one type of particle, more are released into the air. The best thing an air purifier can do is to remove particles from the air, not add them to it.
6. They don't always work as advertised
Most air purifiers are pretty effective at removing airborne particles from the air. However, in some cases it's possible that they won't be as effective at doing their job as you'd expect them to be . This can sometimes be because of a faulty design, an issue with the filter, or simply because people don't clean them properly after each use. Whatever the reason is, this means you'll have to clean it more often.
7. They can cause allergies
Some people are allergic to certain types of particles and will react to them. The situation is similar to how some people are allergic to pollen while others aren't . If you're allergic, then an air purifier will be uncomfortable for you because it will continuously release the particles that cause your allergies.
And just like other types of allergies, this can sometimes lead to more serious health problems over time. At the very least, it won't be good for your quality of life as you'll always have to worry about these particles floating around in your environment.
8. You need to maintain them regularly
Most air purifiers require regular maintenance . This means that you'll have to clean them on a daily basis and check their parts regularly. The best thing is to find an air purifier that requires little maintenance or none at all.
The Pros Of Air Purifiers
There are plenty of advantages and drawbacks with using air purifiers, but overall, they are a good option if you're looking for a way to clean the air in your home.
- They can help improve the air quality in your home
- They can improve the air quality in your workplace
- They can save you on your utility bills
- They can clean the air in your house
- They reduce airborne particles from entering the home
- They remove dust, pollen, and other allergens from the air
- They filter out bad odors and smoke odors
- They can prevent the release of unhealthy CO gas in the air
- They can also help to remove bad smells and odours that cause headaches
- They help to reduce the effects of chemicals, mold, and pollens
- They prevent mold and allergens from spreading through your home
- Some machines remove VOCs (volatile organic compounds) from the air
- Some machines removed dust particles that can cause allergies if you're allergic to them
- The filters remove small particles from the air, so they will not release harmful gases into your home
Air purifiers are a great way to clean the air in your home. But you must choose one that's the right fit for your needs and your budget. For example, you might need a stronger filter if you live near an industrial plant or if there is a lot of construction nearby.
If there is not much pollution in your area, then you can get away with purchasing a more basic air purifier without all the bells and whistles. It's also worth noting that some air purifiers may be better than others depending on what type of particles are in the air around you and how they affect people who live in that environment .
- WE WON'T RELEASE ANY PRODUCT WITHOUT THE LOGO: Each of our products undergoes professional tests & recognition, after which a formal LOGO is printed. With this confidence and our strong team, we take the LOGO of levoit as our promise
- HIGH PERFORMANCE: Enjoy fresh air in 12 minutes with the Core 300 True HEPA Air Purifier. Featuring VortexAir Technology, 360° air intake, and CADR of 141 CFM / 240 m³/h (Clean Air Delivery Rate), Core 300 can purify air of a 1,095 ft² space once in one hour. The higher the CADR of an air purifier, the larger its purification area
- FIND RELIEF: Ease sneezing, congestion, and other allergy symptoms caused by airborne contaminants. The H13 True HEPA Filter works alongside the Pre-Filter and High-Efficiency Activated Carbon Filter to capture 99.97% of airborne particles 0.3 microns in size, such as dust, smoke, pollen, odor
- OFFICIAL LEVOIT FILTERS: Search for B07RSZSYNC or Core 300-RF to find Levoit's Core 300 replacement filter. Levoit filters provide the best fit and filtration, while off-brand filters are unreliable and may damage the air purifier
- MULTIPLE FILTER CHOICES: Choose from a variety of replacement filters to best meet your needs. The Toxin Absorber Filter specializes in smog, toxins, and VOCs. The Smoke Remover filter specializes in wildfire, smoke and etc. And the Pet Allergy Filter helps to capture pet dander and absorb unpleasant odors
- WHISPER QUIET AIR CLEANER: Choose Sleep Mode at night and then forget all about your air purifier while you sleep. QuietKEAP Technology reduces noise levels to a near-silent 24dB, ensuring the Core 300 won’t get in the way of a good night’s rest
- SLEEK DESIGN: The Core 300 practically serves your home while blending in with your decor. Its award-winning design (Red Dot, 2020) and modern white finish help your air purifier fit anywhere in your home/bedroom/room
- UNDISTURBED OPERATION: The display light can be turned off to enjoy a perfect night of sleep without the effect of light. A timer for 2/4/6/8 hours and filter lifetime indicator for your convenience
- FULL CERTIFIED FOR SAFER: Energy Star Verified, Complies with California air resources board (CARB) for indoor cleaning devices. Also FCC certified, ETL listed
- POWERFUL PERFORMANCE: With a CADR of 130 CFM / 221 m3/h, the Vital 100 is perfect for living rooms, bedrooms, and kitchens. It can cover 300 ft² / 28 m² in only 18 minutes. (Only products over 6 pounds can be equipped with such powerful motors that optimize the air cleaning performance)
- 3-STAGE FILTRATION: Comes equipped with a washable pre-filter for large particles like lint and fur, a High-Efficiency Activated Carbon Filter for toxic fumes and unpleasant odors, and an H13 True HEPA Filter, which captures at least 99.97% of airborne particles 0.3 microns in size
- SLEEP COMFORTABLY: With noise levels as low as 23 decibels, the Vital 100 won’t keep you up at night. You can also turn off the display lights when it’s time for bed
- USER-FRIENDLY: Set a timer for 2, 4, or 8 hours whenever you like. The Check Filter Indicator will let you know when it’s time for a fresh filter
- ENERGY EFFICIENT: It only costs dollar 1.66 a week to run the Vital 100 24/7 , allowing you to use it all day during times of high pollution, like wildfire season
- EASY TO PLACE: The compact design and top-facing air vents let you place the Vital 100 near walls or in the corner of a room
- FILTER REPLACEMENTS: Depending on usage, the filters should be replaced every 6–8 months. You can buy new filters by searching "B08BC5V6ZF" and "B085C22XWC". Remove the plastic wrap before installing a new filter
- True H13 Large Purifier: VRZTLAI home purifier with a combination of pre-filter, a HEPA filter and activated carbon filter, help to reduce 99.97% pets hair, pollen, smoke, PM 2.5 etc.
- Whisper-Quiet & Optional Timer: It's super quiet with the lowest noise level of 25dB in sleep mode, creates a restful and soothing atmosphere without disturbing your learning, working or sleeping; 1-12 hour-timers setting allow it run at a specific time.
- Wide Used: The large purifier is faster, fresher and more efficient and work well in rooms as large as 215ft²/20m², perfect for home, bedroom, living room, kitchen, office.
- 4 Fan Speeds HEPA Purifiers: Simple touch the button to choose a suitable speed from sleep mode/low/medium/high for your home, bedroom, office etc, based on your different needs.
- Notice: ①Display light can be turned off to enjoy a perfect sleep; ②It is recommended to replace your filter every 6 months depending on the use; ③when all the filter life indicator lights are on and flashing, please to replace it.